The primary sponsors of the WWS2 Campaign are Jewish organizations. Jewish values, identity, and history of migration have created a national Jewish imperative to fight for a Just and Compassionate Immigration System in the United States.
The Jewish community’s value of “Protecting the Ger (Stranger)” have led Jews to politically engage in the fight for fair protection of immigrants, refugees, and asylum seekers. Jewish cultural values such as caring for the poor and a desire for a fair and equal justice system have led Jews to play a pivotal role in national immigration debates.
Values in Action
1) Protecting the Ger (Stranger): Immigrants in our country deserve the same protection as everybody else
- Throughout our religious history, Jews are instructed to care for the stranger, recalling our time in Egypt. WWS2 is the American Jewish community’s call to action to lobby for policies that afford respect and legal protection of all peoples forced to leave their homes in search of a better life elsewhere.
2) Fair Justice System: Ending the Mistreatment of Immigrants in Detention Centers
- Advocating for the rights of immigrant detainees reflects the Jewish mandate to uphold a fair justice system. The U.S. strives to uphold the values of fairness and due process, but today our broken immigration system denies basic human rights and due process to people who are being detained. Most of these detainees have no criminal history, yet they can be jailed for months or years at a time.
3) Caring for the Poor: Immigrants are Victims of Poor Working Conditions and Low Wages
- After migrating to the US, undocumented workers, who strive to create a better life for their families, are often exploited. Their employers take advantage of migrants’ desperation to find work and pay illegally low wages or otherwise treat them unfairly. Undocumented workers fear deportation and detention, and frequently must endure this unacceptable treatment. We must lobby for better conditions, pay, and legal protection for undocumented immigrants.
 Heartland Alliance: National Immigration Justice Center.
 Exploited: The Plight of the Undocumented Worker. By Cristina Jimenez, Drum Major Institute. Posted on August 12, 2008, Printed on January 23, 2009 http://www.alternet.org/story/94703/